1900 to 1950

1900 to 1950

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photo Credits: Roscoe Dausuel, 1919
Courtesy of the Baker Barber Collection

1900 to 1950

Between 1900 and 1970 local African-Americans owned businesses such as cafes, laundries, sweet shops, beauty shops, guest houses, a taxi service, a mortuary and a paving company.

Black-owned Businesses 1900-1950

By 1910, 46 Blacks owned at least 30 acres of land with three of these farmers owning 100 acres or ...
Learn More

Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Association

A  fourteen acre assembly ground with eleven buildings in East Flat Rock provided a training and social venue for members ...
Learn More

Flat Rock Blacksmith

John Markley and his sons were well-known African-American blacksmiths in Flat Rock from 1877 until the early 1900’s.   https://www.blueridgenow.com/article/NC/20130217/News/606022456/HT ...
Learn More

An Early Electrician

Robert Quinn wired local theaters and churches in the 1930’s.  This interview with his wife was done in 1939 through ...
Learn More

Chauffeurs and Merry Garden Casino

Henderson County’s licensed chauffeurs included several African Americans like Fred Potts.  The Merry Garden Casino in Flat Rock attracted nationally ...
Learn More

Education in Henderson County From 1865 Until 1916

Although in theory Black schools were supposed to be equal to White schools, in reality they never received adequate funding ...
Learn More

The Sixth Avenue School

Although its resources were limited, the Sixth Avenue School had dedicated teachers. The school also served as a African-American community ...
Learn More

Principal John Marable

John Marable was an innovative principal who instituted sports teams and a marching band, and led the transition from the ...
Learn More

Alma Avery Interview

Alma Avery shares her experiences growing up in poverty and then later working in a box factory in Henderson County ...
Learn More

Brickton Colored School

Brickton Colored School served African American students in the Fletcher area from the time it was built in 1930 until ...
Learn More