Mr. Walter Allman, the Gentleman Custodian

The Henderson County Education Foundation inducted eight honorees into the Education Foundation Hall of Fame on April 26, 2007, at the Hendersonville Country Club. The inductees were from diversified backgrounds – teachers, principals, a bus supervisor, an attorney, a custodian. But they shared one trait. 

The Blue Goose

Should have been named… THE PARENTS NIGHTMARE. It was the kind of place your parents always warned you about. And just like all those other parental warnings, no way you would stay away from it. This all night speakeasy was a mixture of Dodge City, 

Pre-School Education – Eula B. Owens Play School

The Eula B. Owens Play School was opened in 1955 and named in honor of a woman who taught at Sixth Avenue School and Ninth Avenue for over 30 years. It began with a vision of three people at the Star of Bethel Missionary Baptist 

Mt. Zion Baptist Church

Mt. Zion Baptist Church

A few years after the Civil War a group of settlers moved into the Fruitland-Edneyville area of Henderson County around an area that was known as Ritter Path (or Green Mountain). By the turn of the century, under the leadership of Emmanual King, Frank Allen, 

Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Association Brief History

From a small acorn a mighty oak can grow.”  With these words, Mrs. Gertrude B. Forney sums up the place in Henderson County history that the Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Association has played in the religious life of many Black Baptist Churches for over 130 

Greater New Zion Baptist Church

Greater New Zion Baptist Church

In 1927 a group of people founded a church in the Brickton area of Henderson County and named it Zion Baptist Church.  The name remained Zion Baptist Church until 1963 at which time a new church was constructed and the name was changed to Greater 

Union Grove Baptist Church

Union Grove Baptist Church

The Union Grove Baptist Church of Hendersonville, N.C., was organized as a congregation in 1909, first meeting in the homes of the founding members until land was purchased on Ashe Street.  In 1918, under the guidance of Rev. Cain Smith, a church was built and 

Star of Bethel Baptist Church Brief History

Star of Bethel Baptist Church Brief History

The Star of Bethel Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1873 with fourteen charter members under the pastorate of Rev. B. F. Hemphill.  The fourteen charter members were: Rev. Frank Brown, Bro. Berry Potts, Bro. Henry King, Sis. Sandy Shepherd, Bro. George Mills, Bro. John 

St. Paul Tabernacle A.M.E. Zion Church – Brief History

Shaw’s Creek A.M.E. Zion Church had begun in 1865 when a group of people from Horseshoe, N.C., persevered in their desire to worship in a church of their own.  As time went on some of the members of Shaw’s Creek moved into Hendersonville to find 

Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Church (East Flat Rock)

Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Church (East Flat Rock)

There is such a close connection between the early black settlers of Flat Rock and the Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Church that the history of one is almost the history of the other. However, there is one significant difference in the history of the church. According to