Stanford Chapel A.M.E. Zion Church
Stanford Chapel was organized in the early 1900’s under the leadership of Rev. Hemphill, Rev. C. C. Martin, and Elder Mays. The church was located on Salisbury Rd. in the Edneyville-Fruitland area of Henderson County. The trustees at the time were: Merrimon Allen, Foster Casberry, Frank and Eliza Allen, Betsey Allen, Ava Foster, Annie Allen, Garnett Shipman, Della Hill, Lance Allen, Eliza Mills, Minnie Jackson, and Nellie Mills. The church building served the people well until it was decided in 1928 to purchase a half acre of land from Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Maxwell near the original location on Salisbury Rd. A new church building was finished in the early 1930’s and the trustees at this time were: E. M. Allen, Otis C. Shipman, and L. Y Castlebery. Several of the ministers who served Stanford Chapel were: Rev. Cufferson, Rev. Blanton, Rev. Fortune, Rev. George King, Rev. Arlene Carson, Rev. Frank Owne, Rev. Robert Allen, Rev. Burchette, Rev. R. R. Staley, and Rev. Herbert Grant.
From A Brief History of the Black Presence in Henderson County by Gary Franklin Green