Mr. Walter Allman, the Gentleman Custodian

The Henderson County Education Foundation inducted eight honorees into the Education Foundation Hall of Fame on April 26, 2007, at the Hendersonville Country Club. The inductees were from diversified backgrounds – teachers, principals, a bus supervisor, an attorney, a custodian. But they shared one trait. 

Education in Henderson County From 1865 Until 1916

There are very few records for the Henderson County schools relating to Blacks, but it appears that education for Blacks in Henderson County had been going on in some form since the end of slavery. In the 1880’s and 1890’s Luella Montgomery was said to 

Pre-School Education – Eula B. Owens Play School

The Eula B. Owens Play School was opened in 1955 and named in honor of a woman who taught at Sixth Avenue School and Ninth Avenue for over 30 years. It began with a vision of three people at the Star of Bethel Missionary Baptist 

Brickton Colored School

Brickton Colored School

Brickton Colored School served African American students in the Fletcher area from the time it was built in 1930 until the Ninth Avenue school was opened in 1951. According to a 1947 survey of Henderson County schools the building, which had “one classroom and cafeteria” 

Alma Avery Interview

Alma Avery shares her experiences growing up in poverty and then later working in a box factory in Henderson County. Watch Alma Avery’s interview with the Mountain Elder Wisdom Project

John Marable, Principal of the Ninth Avenue School

After serving as Principal of the Ninth Avenue School, John Marable played an important role in community organizations like the United Way, the Council on Aging and the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board. https://www.blueridgenow.com/article/NC/20010428/News/606057453/HT

The Society of Necessity / The Ninth Avenue School

The Society of Necessity / The Ninth Avenue School

The Society of Necessity’s Oakdale Cemetery in East Flat Rock, Photo by the Black History Research Group The Ninth Avenue School served African American students from Henderson, Polk and Transylvania counties from 1951 until 1965. In May of 1950 a grant for “ninety-six thousand, six 

Principal John Marable

John Marable was an innovative principal who instituted sports teams and a marching band, and led the transition from the Sixth Avenue School to the larger, better equipped Ninth Avenue School John Marable became principal of Sixth Avenue School in 1946, and during his thirteen 

The Sixth Avenue School

Although its resources were limited, the Sixth Avenue School had dedicated teachers. The school also served as a African-American community center from 1916 until l951. The Sixth Avenue School was constructed at the northeast comer of Sixth Avenue and Valley Street in 1916 on one 

Overview of African American Education Before Integration

Through the hard work of many people, Henderson County’s Black schools endured, persevered, and often prospered in less than ideal circumstances. The story of the advances in education for Black students in Henderson County, from the years following the Civil War to the eventual integration