James Fisher at Connemara

James Fisher worked at Connemara as a valet and chauffeur for the Smyth family in the early 1900’s. https://www.nps.gov/articles/000/black-history.htm

Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Association

Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Association

Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Association A fourteen-acre assembly ground with eleven buildings in East Flat Rock provided a training and social venue for members of African-American Missionary Baptist churches from Henderson, Buncombe and Transylvania counties.   From A Brief History of the Black Presence in 

Education in Henderson County From 1865 Until 1916

There are very few records for the Henderson County schools relating to Blacks, but it appears that education for Blacks in Henderson County had been going on in some form since the end of slavery. In the 1880’s and 1890’s Luella Montgomery was said to 

Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Association Brief History

From a small acorn a mighty oak can grow.”  With these words, Mrs. Gertrude B. Forney sums up the place in Henderson County history that the Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Association has played in the religious life of many Black Baptist Churches for over 130 

Greater New Zion Baptist Church

Greater New Zion Baptist Church

In 1927 a group of people founded a church in the Brickton area of Henderson County and named it Zion Baptist Church.  The name remained Zion Baptist Church until 1963 at which time a new church was constructed and the name was changed to Greater 

Union Grove Baptist Church

Union Grove Baptist Church

The Union Grove Baptist Church of Hendersonville, N.C., was organized as a congregation in 1909, first meeting in the homes of the founding members until land was purchased on Ashe Street.  In 1918, under the guidance of Rev. Cain Smith, a church was built and 

Star of Bethel Baptist Church Brief History

Star of Bethel Baptist Church Brief History

The Star of Bethel Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1873 with fourteen charter members under the pastorate of Rev. B. F. Hemphill.  The fourteen charter members were: Rev. Frank Brown, Bro. Berry Potts, Bro. Henry King, Sis. Sandy Shepherd, Bro. George Mills, Bro. John 

St. Paul Tabernacle A.M.E. Zion Church – Brief History

Shaw’s Creek A.M.E. Zion Church had begun in 1865 when a group of people from Horseshoe, N.C., persevered in their desire to worship in a church of their own.  As time went on some of the members of Shaw’s Creek moved into Hendersonville to find 

Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Church (East Flat Rock)

Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Church (East Flat Rock)

There is such a close connection between the early black settlers of Flat Rock and the Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Church that the history of one is almost the history of the other. However, there is one significant difference in the history of the church. According to 

Stanford Chapel A.M.E. Zion Church

Stanford Chapel A.M.E. Zion Church

Stanford Chapel was organized in the early 1900’s under the leadership of Rev. Hemphill, Rev. C. C. Martin, and Elder Mays. The church was located on Salisbury Rd. in the Edneyville-Fruitland area of Henderson County. The trustees at the time were: Merrimon Allen, Foster Casberry, Frank and