James Fisher at Connemara

James Fisher worked at Connemara as a valet and chauffeur for the Smyth family in the early 1900’s. https://www.nps.gov/articles/000/black-history.htm

Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Association

Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Association

Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Association A fourteen-acre assembly ground with eleven buildings in East Flat Rock provided a training and social venue for members of African-American Missionary Baptist churches from Henderson, Buncombe and Transylvania counties.   From A Brief History of the Black Presence in 

East Flat Rock Community Map

East Flat Rock Community Map

Spartanburg Highway to West Blue Ridge at light turn right, cross RR tracks. On the left is Jody Street, B Street, Ferndale Street then left onto Roper Road. Turn left onto Valentine Street. Mine gap Road is right off Roper Road. Down Mine Gap Road, 

Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Association Brief History

From a small acorn a mighty oak can grow.”  With these words, Mrs. Gertrude B. Forney sums up the place in Henderson County history that the Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Association has played in the religious life of many Black Baptist Churches for over 130 

Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Church (East Flat Rock)

Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Church (East Flat Rock)

There is such a close connection between the early black settlers of Flat Rock and the Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Church that the history of one is almost the history of the other. However, there is one significant difference in the history of the church. According to 

Flat Rock’s Rosenwald School

Julius Rosenwald, President of Sears, donated funds to build 5,000 schools for African Americans in the 1920’s.  One of them was in East Flat Rock.   https://www.boldlife.com/learning-from-the-past/

Freed Slaves in Flat Rock

Many of the slaves owned by wealthy Charleston planters chose to remain in Flat Rock after the Civil War.   https://www.jstor.org/stable/41446547?seq=1#metadata_info_tab_contents

Slave Owners in Henderson County

The largest slave owners were South Carolinians who summered in Flat Rock.  Most slave owners had just one or two slaves.   http://hendersonheritage.com/slave-owners-1800-1820-1850-1860/

Slave Graves at St. John in the Wilderness Church

St. John in the Wilderness Church has about 100 graves of slaves, freed men and women, and African American servants.   https://docsouth.unc.edu/commland/monument/874/

Edwards Family in Flat Rock

Venus and Caesar Edwards were freed slaves from South Carolina who settled in Flat Rock and helped to found Mud Creek Missionary Baptist church.   https://www.blueridgenow.com/news/20040201/glimpse-into-past