Black Cemeteries Article

Black Cemeteries Article

Johnnie Washington looks at the gravestone of Mary Maxwell at a cemetery on Green Mountain in Fruitland. It is believed that the graves of slaves and the ancestors of many local blacks are buried in the cemetery, which contains more than 60 fieldstones. Jennie Giles/TIMES-NEWS 

Ashes to Ashes A Spoken Word by Crystal Cauley

Ashes to Ashes A Spoken Word by Crystal Cauley

Poem by Crystal Cauley Interpretative dance and video produced by Indian Jackson Courtesy of Black History Collective of Henderson County, NC  

Mill Pond and Free Blacks

Mill Pond and Free Blacks

Mill Pond and Free Blacks Some black residents who are having difficulties tracing their family to the period before the Civil War have speculated their ancestors may have been free and not slaves. Legends and stories have been passed down for generations that there were 

Black Cemeteries

Some of the many African American cemeteries in Henderson county have disappeared over the years.  Others are being restored.

Overview of Slavery in Henderson County

The first report of an African American in Henderson County is from 1790.  The number of slaves grew to 1,382 in 1860, which represented about 13% of the total population.

Slave Graves at St. John in the Wilderness Church

St. John in the Wilderness Church has about 100 graves of slaves, freed men and women, and African American servants.

Slave Cemeteries in Clear Creek

Two slave cemeteries, with graves marked by elongated fieldstones, have been located around Clear Creek.  Slaves were sometimes buried at churches like St. John in the Wilderness and Ebenezer Baptist Church.

Oakland Cemetery (Flat Rock)

There are two Henderson County cemeteries named “Oakland” where Blacks are buried.  This article provides details on the Oakland cemetery in Flat Rock that is affiliated with the Mud Creek Missionary Baptist Church on Mine Gap Road in East Flat Rock

Standford Chapel

After the church moved from Edwards Mountain to Salisbury Road in Edneyville, there was dispute over who owned the old cemetery at the original location.  The church eventually won title, but not before the old grave markers were removed.