Union Grove Baptist Church

Union Grove Baptist Church

The Union Grove Baptist Church of Hendersonville, N.C., was organized as a congregation in 1909, first meeting in the homes of the founding members until land was purchased on Ashe Street.  In 1918, under the guidance of Rev. Cain Smith, a church was built and 

Star of Bethel Baptist Church Brief History

Star of Bethel Baptist Church Brief History

The Star of Bethel Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1873 with fourteen charter members under the pastorate of Rev. B. F. Hemphill.  The fourteen charter members were: Rev. Frank Brown, Bro. Berry Potts, Bro. Henry King, Sis. Sandy Shepherd, Bro. George Mills, Bro. John 

St. Paul Tabernacle A.M.E. Zion Church – Brief History

Shaw’s Creek A.M.E. Zion Church had begun in 1865 when a group of people from Horseshoe, N.C., persevered in their desire to worship in a church of their own.  As time went on some of the members of Shaw’s Creek moved into Hendersonville to find 

Peacock Town Neighborhood Map

Peacock Town Neighborhood Map

Street names: Justice St. from 1st Ave. W. to 3rd Ave. W. S. Oak from 1st Ave. W. To 3rd Ave. W. N. Oak from 1st Ave W. To 3rd Ave. W. Jones Alley Jones St. from 1st Ave. W. To 3rd Ave. W. Gravel 

West End Neighborhood Map

West End Neighborhood Map

Street names: Sixth Ave. W. Between N. Justice and Prince Seventh Ave. W. Sam Mills St. (old 8th Ave. W.) Conner Ave. from N. Oak going W. Ninth Ave. W. Starting at Justice N. Justice from 6th to 9th N. Oak from 6th to 9th 

Black Bottom Neighborhood Map

Black Bottom Neighborhood Map

Black Bottom began where S. Church Street intersects with W. Caswell Street addresses 203-302 to the bend of Kanuga (Present day Hot Dog World location). At the time the neighborhood of Black Bottom existed, this part of Kanuga was named Caswell. Houses of Black Bottom 

Harris Street Area Map

Harris Street Area Map

This area did not have a special name. 603, 604, 605 Harris between 6th Ave. E. To Jonas St. were always occupied by white families. Street names: Harris St. from 4th Ave. E. (Tucker’s Turn) to 6th Ave. E. Williams St. from 4th Ave. East 

Black Bottom’s Residents

Black Bottom’s Residents

Donald R. “Donnie” Parks, Hendersonville’s First African-American Chief of Police. Black Bottom The real estate bounded by Kanuga, Barnwell and South Church Streets once hosted “Black Bottom,” a hamlet of stilt houses occupied by members of Hendersonville’s African American townspeople. The houses, mostly built in 

Ninth Avenue School Year Books

All 16 of the Yearbooks from the Ninth Avenue School are available at: https://lib.digitalnc.org/search?ln=en&rm=&ln=en&sf=year&so=a&rg=10&c=DigitalNC&of=hb&fti=0&fti=0&p=903%3AHendersonCountyPublicLibrary_091019_TKD_01903%3AHendersonCountyPublicLibrary_091019_TKD_01 – Search Results – DigitalNC

Greenbook Guest House

The Landina Guest House was one of many Black-owned businesses that served the Black community in the days of segregation.   https://www.blueridgenow.com/news/20190714/beyond-banks-doing-it-by-green-book